The kids

The kids

Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Brief Look at the Past Few Days

Well, for a lack of better words, I will just say that this past week has been kind of hectic. We rushed to the Upstate on Friday afternoon when we got word that Garrett's dad was in the hospital. Luckily, he is back at home now and doing well. Here is a little pick of Em looking out his hospital window.
Although we hated that we were having to visit Garrett's dad in the hospital, I will say that the view of the sunset over the mountains from his hospital window was pretty amazing. Coming home is always so bittersweet...It is so good to be home, but it just reminds us of how much we miss it here. I miss our families, friends, and those beautiful mountains. Garrett had to leave on Saturday morning to drive up to D.C. for a few days, so I decided to stay and spend some time with my family.

It has been good to be here although a little exhausting. While I love Emerson....she has been making me totally nuts lately. She cries when anyone but me holds her and she has begun screaming during both of her naps and at bedtime. It seems everything she does these days is totally irrational and quite honestly it's wearing me out. She is actually laying in her pack in play crying right now instead of napping. Parenting is a challenge even with Garrett around, but without him it is even harder. Single mothers of the world, I have so much compassion and admiration for you!!!!

Luckily the weather has been nice since we have been here, so we have been able to spend some good time outside. And we have gotten to spend some good time with friends and family. On Sunday, we played outside for a long time and my sister and brother-in-law came over and cooked dinner...yum.

Stabler trying to eat my parents fish.
GiGi, Em, Amanda, and Stabler feeding the fish
Braised Short-Ribs...Yummm
Playing in the driveway (it's so nice to be able to borrow a driveway to play in)
GiGi doing some gardening...she got more than a few whistles from the neighbors (sorry mom...I couldn't resist)
More enjoying some driveway time
Aunt Amanda so generously helping Em walk
Yesterday I got to go hang out with one of my favorites families ever...the Spann's. Donald, Mary Beth, Charley, and Eli we miss you guys so much!!! Donald and Mary Beth are some of our closest friend from Greenville and they produce some BEAUTIFUL children.

Case. And. Point. Eli (5 months) and Charley (21 months)
Notice the distance between them and Emerson. That is because Em is a bully and pinched both of them a few times.
Today we got to go visit my best friend from childhood, my college roommate, and maid of honor, Kristin. Her little boy Bryson is 10 weeks older than Em and the 2 of them have been friends since Em was born. Seriously, i have pictures of them holding hands when Em was like 3 months old. Anyway, Kristin and I took them for a wagon ride. It was so cute that it ALMOST made me forget what a little terror Emerson has been lately.

Best Friends
I mean....they are really cute.
Emerson kept trying to take Bryson's hat...he didn't seem to mind.
I also got to go to church with my friend Alexis on Saturday night and then to dinner too! She is a single mom of two little ones....I look up to her so much. It was such a blessing to spend time with her. It has been so nice to be around close friends and family. While we like Durham, it feels lonely sometimes. But alas, I am heading back there in the morning. If you are thinking, "hey you were in Greenville and didn't call"...sorry! But, I am hoping to be back for most of the month of April and looking forward to get to see the people I missed on this trip. Lastly, please pray that my sweet daughters crazy cranky alter ego decides to go away. Thanks.

No comments: