The kids

The kids

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Haunting...

So earlier in the week I was catching up with one of my fave friends from college via her blog. On her blog she was discussing this super yummy salad that she had made for a little get together that she had attended. The recipe came from "The Pioneer Woman" (whom I had heard of but really had no experience with prior to this experience. However, I am now sucked in and I could and probably will write an entire post on her at some point...keep your eyes open for that). Anyway, out of curiosity I checked out the recipe and it looked AMAZING. My friend had noted on her blog post that the recipe involved lots of chopping. Ever since I got this for Christmas...
(a Henckels 5" Santoku knife)....I can't get enough of chopping. Additionally, it just so happened that I had most of the ingredients needed at home already and I was already in route to Kroger to do my weekly shopping. So, I figured I would pick up the few things I would need while I was there, and I would make this tasty looking salad for dinner.

The recipe called for the use of serrano peppers in the dressing. Now I should note that I'm not really into spicy things but G is WAY into spicy things (that's why he married me, hehehe)...the spicier he can get things the better. He could not care less if his nose is dripping and his lips are inflamed for days....homeboy loves the spice. I think it is mostly a way to assert his manhood. Anyway, I love him so I decided to oblige his afinity for all things spicy and actually use the peppers in the dressing. So, I picked up a few of these at the store.
Beautiful aren't they??? Seeing as how I NEVER cook with spicy peppers, I had no idea where they ranked on the Scoville Scale. In fact, I had no idea what the Scoville Scale was until yesterday.

I got home from the store and began chopping....loving every second of it. I was almost done with the dressing and it was time to add the peppers. Garrett happened to be in the kitchen at the time, so in an effort to brag about what a good wife I was I said "look I got these peppers just for you." I began chopping the peppers, and G grabbed and piece of one and ate it. Right as I hear him say "oh, wow," my throat begins to feel as if it going to close up, my eyes involuntarily began dripping water, and my hands began to burn as if someone had lit a match to them. All of this from just sharing the same air as this little pepper! As if this was not enough to convince me that using these guys in the salad wasn't the best idea for me, I decided to take my own little nibble. I had to prepare the rest of the salad with cucumber on my lips...wondering if I would ever be able to kiss my hubby again.

People, the recipe called for TWO of these things. There was no way that was happening. I told Garrett that I loved him but that the peppers had to leave the house, immediately. Poor Garrett had been so excited about them but he tossed them out anyway. For the rest of the night, my hands where ON FIRE. I had to take my rings off b/c the oil had gotten under them....I still have not put them back on. Yesterday, I went to take a shower and there must have been oil trapped under my finger nails that got released b/c again my hands were on fire (i cut my nails the second I got out of the shower). I went to use the computer yesterday...my thumbs caught fire again. THESE PEPPERS ARE HAUNTING ME! When will it stop???

I don't know. But I do know two things...Thing #1)The salad did end up being UNBELIEVABLY good! I will most definitely be hitting the Pioneer Woman up for recipes again. Thing #2) I will never ever ever ever listen to the Pioneer Woman when she tells me to add peppers to any of those recipes.

5 comments:

Grandmom Reed said...

That is so odd. I just got that knife (actually Cutco version) and I have been chopping like crazy too, including my finger! You are right about those peppers. You can't get rid of the oils. They burn everything!

katie said...

I love this post! So funny. I could actually HEAR you in my head telling me this story. So great. Ahhhh...those blasted peppers! I can remember when I made Pepper Relish and didn't heed my Granny's remark to put gloves on...alas and they were just Jalapenos! Poor you! And you be careful with that Hiynickee knife...just Tuesday I chopped the tip of my finger and the ER Doc glued it back together...thought I was Giada for a moment I guess.

GiGi said...

Allison -- so funny! Once I made pepper relish for your Dad & I had the same experience. My hands were on fire and I could get stop the pain. We rode around for hours with me holding my hands out the window so that cold air could pass over them. Lesson learned -- always wear gloves or stay away from chopping hot peppers.

Watch the knife too - and even worse is the Mandolin as I almost sliced off the end of my finger with it.

GG

Amber said...

totally just made this salad!!! YUMMMM!!!!

Tradd & Colleen Rodenberg said...

I LOVE serrano peppers!!! They have been my new favorite thing to cook with since the superbowl :)

Chop one up and mix it with your hamburger meat when making homemade burgers --mmm mmmm delishious!

Miss you guys!

Tradd