The kids

The kids

Saturday, January 8, 2011

An Exciting Saga...Not Really

I did it.  I completed a 5 hour road trip with my 2 children (both under the age of 2), all by myself. It really wasn't that bad.  The kids were fine in the car and the minimal stress I experienced came from the snack/feeding/diaper change stop. We needed to stop in Florence, and well, there just isn't a lot there.  Any mom knows there are a few criteria for a road trip stop with little kids: #1. Clean (and preferably spacious) bathrooms WITH changing tables. #2. Good snacks/food.  #3. A nice environment to rest but one that is also tolerant of my cute and always obedient children. For the most part the only places that fit the bill are Chick-fil-A (but on Sundays, gotta find another option), Starbucks, and Panera.  If anyone has any other recommendations, now is the time to give them. 

Typically Chick-fil-A is my first choice for obvious reasons BUT the CFA on my route through Florence is a DTO (drive-thru only) so it's a no go.  No Panera in Florence.  Starbucks it is.  Which is fine except on occasions, you come across a Starbucks with no changing table in the bathroom.  Guess what, the Florence Starbucks is one of those (As is the one on Harbison in Columbia... I have changed Emerson on the bathroom floor there before).  So, I had to change Evan on one of the tables in the middle of Starbucks (maybe make a note to not eat on the table closest to the door at the Florence Starbucks). And little Em had to get her diaper (which she swore didn't need changing but definitely did) changed in the drivers seat of the car.  Which wasn't so bad b/c it was 50 degrees outside instead of 15. While in Starbucks, I was smart enough to put Em in our little umbrella stroller to keep her contained and I just carried Evan in his car seat.  My hands were full (literally) but we made it work. And it was worth it because we have gotten to spend the past few days with Garrett.

Garrett is living in a corporately furnished apartment which is furnished just enough to be able to call it furnished.  However, it has 3 bedrooms and his company provided 2 cribs for the kids.  So, we were able to spend the night as a family of 4 for the first time in a "house" by ourselves AND everyone had real beds.  It has been nice. But it all ends tomorrow when I make the 5 hour drive (i should note the drive only takes 5 hours with kids, more like 4 without them) again to head back home before the big snow storm hits.  Hopefully the return trip will go as smoothly as the first leg did.  However, it is Sunday so no CFA and as I noted earlier, no changing table at the Starbucks.  What will I do??? Stay tuned for updates to this exciting saga.  Another exciting saga to look forward for updates on, Emerson's first dentist appointment next week, Lord help me.

No pics from our trip the Myrtle, which is super sad  b/c I got to hold little baby Fisher and I didn't document it. Lame I know.  But here is a pic of Em being sweet to her brother. They love each other.
On second thought...maybe she's hurting him.

3 comments:

courtneybrown said...

im just giggling to myself :) you did a great job! I wish I could see the fancy apartment/ go to starbucks with you and drink a caramel machiato! Its snowing here, finally! Its going to be 10in!
I love you all!

Amber said...

Aww...she's such a good girl. Glad you made it safely and hope you make it back safely as well. I'm sure you will. I know this transition time is not easy, but I know you'll make the best of it and get through it with flying colors. I admire your strength.

Love ya!

The Addison Onion said...

You are a rockstar. You get 5 gold stars in my book. Hope you get back here safely until we are snowed in until June. :)